Friday, April 1, 2011

Competencies for Instructors and Instructional Designers


As I read the tables listing the various competencies for ID&T professionals, training managers and instructors, I came across several that related to the work I do as a fifth grade teacher and the ways I want to incorporate technology and effective teaching practices with my students.

On page 275, Table 27.3 in our text, #14 “Use media and technology to enhance learning and performance” is definitely an area I have been striving to improve. I have attended the MACUL conference the last two years, attend “Tech Camp” in the summer at my local ISD, and now am in Western Michigan College’s Educational Technology Master’s program. I have learned a lot over the past year and know that there is still much to learn about various technologies that can improve learning for my students.

“Access learning and performance” is another area from the same table that I am currently working to improve. I give formative assessments on a quarterly basis to my math students. Presently, the assessments are very long and I am not happy with the layout of the test. It is a very useful tool to stay on top of the progress of my students and find the weaknesses they have regarding the state standards. I know I need to align these assessments with Common Core Standards now and make the tests more “user friendly” to assure I am getting accurate results.

A third competency I need to strengthen is #17 for Instructional Designers, “Design instruction that reflects an understanding of the diversity of learners and groups of learners.” When I read this I thought of UDL and how I have just started to develop a new science unit that incorporates elements of Universal Design for Learning. I have tried a couple of lessons that vary the means of delivering instruction to my students and they seem to enjoy it and retain the information better. I have a long way to go, but want to refine these lessons further and develop more to complete my unit.

Using Google Sites

I have found that I do not like Google Sites. I find Weebly.com to be a much more user friendly site. However, it is good to try new things so here is a very basic, two page site that has the images and gadgets that were required for this weeks' activity.

Click here for my Google Site

No comments:

Post a Comment