Sunday, April 24, 2011

EXAMPLE POST FOR FINAL PROJECT

SUBTRACTING MIXED NUMBERS


When I watched Mrs. Farmer explain how to subtract fractions when the top fraction was big enough to take the bottom fraction away from it, it was easy for me. It was like regular subtraction only you don't subtract the denominators. You just keep the same denominator that you have in the problem.


When we had to subtract mixed numbers and the top fraction wasn't big enough to subtract the bottom fraction from it, I got confused. I didn't get it when Mrs. Farmer said you have to borrow from the whole number to make the top fraction bigger than the bottom fraction. I just don't get what she was doing with the pictures of the fraction sticks and breaking them apart and adding and all of that.


I do know how to make improper fractions from mixed numbers and that gives me a bigger fraction on top to subtract the bottom fraction from it. I will leave a screencast of me doing that method. What I don't understand now is how to change the answer. Mrs. Farmer says we can't leave it like that. What do I do with my answer to make it right?








Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

4 comments:

  1. I don't get the way she showed us how to borrow from the whole number either. I like the way you do it, too. I think what you have to do in the answer is turn it back into a mixed number now that you have it as an improper fraction.
    You have to say 15/8 which would be 1 with 7 as a remainder. So the final answer should be 1 and 7/8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why you say your answer isn't right. I got that answer, too, when I worked it out after I watched you do it. Why is it wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand how you turn 3 and 6/8 into 30/8 and how you get 1 7/8 into 15/8.

    ReplyDelete
  4. try this video to help you
    .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYvndrZ33fw

    ReplyDelete